A PMS is an approach to achieving a shared vision of the purpose and objectives of the organization (O/M/A), helping each staff member to understand and recognize his/her contribution to the strategic intent and thus manage and enhance the performance of the organization (O/M/A).
It is an approach to managing people that facilitates the achievement of the results by planning staff performance, implementating strategic staff development and reviewing performance. It articulates orgainsational objectives in terms of individual performance results and priorities, and by doing this is a way of motivating staff members to achieve their full potential in line with the organization's (O/M/A) purpose.
A PMS is a systematic approach to:
- Translating organizational intent into unit/team objectives and individual results;
- Improving individual and team performance in order to achieve organizational objectives through:
- Ensuring a shared understanding of objectives, results, values and priorities;
- The provision of relevant development and coaching; and
- Focused and relevant feedback.
- A shared process between supervisors/managers, units/teams and individuals;
- Management by contract rather than by demand; and
- Focused strategic competency development.
The purpose and uses of the PMS are to:
- Provide a framework for strategic planning and management;
- Develop, improve and articulate a shared understanding of organizational objectives, priorities ad values;
- Join the organization together through the integration of organizational objectives and individual results;
- Provide processes to improve work planning and channels of communication;
- Ensure understanding, empower staff and improve team and individual performance through clarification of roles, accountabilities, responsibilities and expectations;
- Provide for the identification, prioritizing, development and coaching of competencies and individual potential;
- Create a performance oriented culture and sustain motivation;
- Underpin a culture that supports achievement and calculated risk taking, rather than one that seeks to blame or find fault;
- Encourage the early identification and turnaround of unsatisfactory performance through coaching and support;
- Serve as input for recognizing and rewarding of above solid performance; and
- Attract and retain skilled staff.